Decades on in Australia, numerous classic hip hop / R&B singles are still selling well on the Google Play Charts AU despite some being released almost 30 years ago. Of the top dozen released from 2002 or before, Eminem has five in the top eight alone. Ice Cube retains legacy with two in the top dozen, while it is surprising that no Tupac singles have made it into the top dozen.
An interesting ploy is that only House of Pain’s “Jump Around” single is priced as a single for $0.10, whereas every other song on the 1992 Fine Malt Lyrics album is priced at the conventional $1.69 (apart from the Jump Around Pete Rock Remix which is priced at the more industry regular price of $2.19, as are the majority of the singles on this Google Play Charts AU top 12 list). This extremely low price might have something to do with the extended popularity of the single.
Below is the list of the top dozen hip hop / R&B singles released in or prior to 2002 as per the recent Google Play AU charts in Australia.
- House of Pain – “Jump Around” prod. DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill (1992)
- Eminem – “Lose Yourself” prod. Eminem + Jeff Bass + Luis Resto (2002)
- Eminem – “Without Me” prod. Eminem + Jeff Bass + DJ Head (2002)
- Eminem (feat. Nate Dogg)- “Till I Collapse” prod. Eminem (2002)
- Fugees – “Killing Me Softly” prod. The Fugees (1996)
- Eminem (feat. Dido) – “Stan” prod. The 45 King (2000)
- Beastie Boys – “Sabotage” prod. Mario C. Jr (1994)
- Eminem – “The Real Slim Shady” – prod. Dr. Dre + Mel-Man (2000)
- The Notorious B.I.G. – “Hyptonize” – prod. Puff Daddy, D-Dot (1997)
- Ice Cube – “No Vaseline” prod. Ice Cube + Sir Jinx (1991)
- N.W.A. – “Straight Outta Compton” prod. Dr. Dre + Dj Yella (1988)
- Boyz II Men – “End Of The Road” prod. L.A. Reid + Babyface + Daryl Simmons (1991)