Spotify have unveiled their annual Year in Music list, with Ed Sheeran winning the accolade of most streamed artist in the UK in 2015 at over 59 million listeners this year.
This now means that he that outstrips Eminen as the most streamed Spotify artist of all time, with 3 billion streams to his name.
Outside of the UK, Drake was the most streamed artist on the planet, enjoying an enormous 1.8 billion streams this year and 46 million listeners.
And with over one billion streams and 57 million listeners, Rihanna is 2015’s most streamed female artist. The Weeknd’s 60 million listeners made Beauty Behind The Madness the most streamed album of the year and Drake’s If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late comes in at Number 2.
The Weeknd said: “It’s been an insane year working with some really talented people. Thank you to the fans on Spotify for making Beauty Behind the Madness the most streamed album of 2015.”
It has been a momentous year for streaming, with more music fans than ever before using Spotify, notching up over 75 million listeners and over 20 billion hours of music.
Here are the full Top 5 lists…
Top 5 Streamed Artists in the UK
- Ed Sheeran
- The Weeknd
- Sam Smith
- Kanye West
Top 5 streamed females in the UK
- Ellie Goulding
- Nicki Minaj
Top 5 streamed tracks in the UK
- Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix) – OMI
- Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson
- Lean On (feat. MØ & DJ Snake) – Major Lazer
- Take Me To Church – Hozier
- See You Again (feat. Charlie Puth) – Wiz Khalifa
Top 5 streamed albums in the UK
- Beauty Behind The Madness – The Weeknd
- Chaos And The Calm – James Bay
- Communion – Years & Years
- Peace Is The Mission – Major Lazer
- Me 4 U – OMI
Top 5 streamed viral tracks in the UK
- Talk To Me – Nick Brewer
- Queen’s Speech 4 – Lady Leshurr
- Can’t Feel My Face – The Weeknd
- Hotline Bling – Drake
- What’s A Girl To Do – Fatima Yamaha
Top 5 Spotify playlists in the UK
- Hot Hits UK
- Topsify UK Top 40
- Today’s Top Hits
- Afternoon Acoustic
- Feelin’ Good
Listen to a playlist of the most streamed songs on Spotify this year below:
[Via Official Charts]